To determine which tools are the best for someone who is new to wood turning, first answer the below question.
1) What size projects are you going to turn?
If you plan on projects 6" in diameter or larger, we would set you up with full size tools. The 3 tool sets are a very popular for beginners as it's simple to use and you can begin turning right away. With an overall tool and handle length of 26.5", these are comfortable to hold and long enough to anchor under your arm.
- Recommended Full-Size woodturning set for beginners: click here
- Recommended Full-Size acrylic/resin set for beginners: click here
If you plan to turn smaller projects, mid size or simple start tools would be a great option. These tools have 3/8" shafts so they are suited for smaller projects but not stiff or long enough for larger projects. Mid size tools have a tool length of 7" when in a handle, and an overall length of 19" including the handle. Simple Start tools are shorter at only 4" of tool length and 12" of overall length including the handle.
- Recommended Mid-Size woodturning set for beginners: click here
- Recommended Mid-Size acrylic/resin set for beginners: click here