Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® Carbide Tipped Woodturning Lathe Tool★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I Finally Put the sandpaper down! Excellent! Easy to use, perfect for the application, far exceeded my expectation. I touch up with 120/220 grit paper instead of spending hours with 60 grit. This is a well made tool that will last forever. Just buy one. Be happy. - Michael, 2/2020
The Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® provides the very best surface finish possible with a carbide tipped woodturning tool. The reason for this is the saucer shaped carbide cutter.
The round tool shaft allows the tool to be rotated about its axis so the cutter is presented to the work at an angle. This creates a shearing cut that cleanly slices the wood fibers off the vessel much like a conventional skew or gouge. The result is a superior surface finish that requires little sanding.
Although this is a great benefit on all types of wood it is especially important when turning soft wood such as spalted maple.
As with all Simple Woodturning Tools® it's all turning and no sharpening. When the small area of this cutter finally becomes dull, simply loosen the screw, with the provided wrench, and rotate the cutter. You will have a super sharp tool once again.
Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® technical details:
- Carbide cutter - ½” diameter - saucer shaped shear cutting
- Overall tool length – 24"
- Tool Shaft – solid stainless steel 5/8” diameter
- Handle - Rubber golf grip
How to use the Simple Shear Cutting Finisher®
1. Position the tool rest as close to the work as possible so the carbide cutter is at the lathe center line.
2. Place the tool on the tool rest with the tool shaft parallel with the floor.
3. Rotate the tool handle about its axis (similar to twisting a motorcycle throttle) approximately 35° in the direction you will be cutting.
4. While securely holding the tool slowly move the carbide cutter into the work.
5. As you begin to move the tool across the block and your project takes shape carefully rotate the tool until you find the "sweet spot" and the chips will just fly off the cutter. When you master this technique, this tool will become your favorite and you'll use it on every project.
Note: If you experience any catches or it's not cutting cleanly, it's probably due to the spindle speed being too low. If you have these issues, try speeding up the lathe.
NOTE UPDATED SHIPPING INFORMATION FROM UPS AND USPS DURING THIS SEASON:
USPS: We are not currently sending anything via US Mail. We have had way too many complaints about late shipments and lost orders. We will no longer be sending packages this way as it's unreliable right now.
UPS: All orders are currently shipping UPS. Please see below map for time in transit questions.
When will my order ship?
- We ship as soon as possible - most of the time within 24 hours of order placement. (Orders placed on Friday after 10am CST, Saturday or Sunday will ship Monday)
- You will receive an e-mail from us when your order ships.
- All orders ship from Ramsey, Minnesota.
- We ship worldwide.
- International orders: Shipping cost will be calculated during checkout and will NOT include your local duty and/or customs fees.