Mid-size Simple Shear Cutting Finisher carbide turning tool for wood, resin, acrylics or hybrid pieces.
The modern alternative to bowl and spindle gouges.
Now turning wood with the mid size Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® that's offered here is as simple as these 4 steps:
- Position the tool rest as close to the work as possible so the carbide cutter is at the lathe center line.
- Place the tool on the tool rest with the tool shaft parallel with the floor.
- Rotate the tool handle about its axis (similar to twisting a motorcycle throttle) approximately 35° in the direction you will be cutting.
- While securely holding the tool slowly plunge the carbide cutter into the work.
As you begin to move the tool across the turning and your project takes shape, you will quickly discover how well these carbide tools cut and how simple it is to make beautiful turnings. It won’t be long until you are experiencing the true joy of wood turning that many thousands of fellow wood turners enjoy.
The Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® provides the very best surface finish possible with a carbide tipped wood turning tool.
The reason for this is the saucer shaped carbide cutter. The round tool shaft allows the tool to be rotated about its axis so the cutter is presented to the work at an angle.
This creates a shearing cut much like a conventional bowl or spindle gouge and leaves a superior surface finish compared to other woodturning tools that are held flat and make scraping cuts. Although this is a great benefit on all types of wood it is especially important when cutting soft wood such as spalted Maple.
Flat topped carbide cutters can leave tear out when used on really soft wood. However, the saucer shaped carbide cutter used on the Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® cleanly slices the soft fibers off the vessel due to the shear cutting action, similar to conventional bowl and spindle gouges. The result is a far superior surface finish.
As with all Simple Woodturning Tools® it's all turning and no sharpening. When the small area of this cutter you're using finally becomes dull, simply loosen the screw and rotate the cutter and you will have a super sharp tool once again.
Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® technical details:
- Carbide cutter - 5/16” diameter - saucer shaped shear cutting (replacement cutter is available HERE)
- Overall tool length – 9"
- Tool – solid stainless steel 3/8” diameter
- T10 Torx star tip wrench included
If you add the handle, here are the handle details:
OPTIONAL Handle Features Include:
- Overall Length:12"
- Outside Diameter: 1-1/8"
- Opening for tool: 3/8" round
- Tools are easily changed by loosening the two stainless Allen set screws.
- Allen wrench is included.
Proudly made in America in Ramsey, Minnesota.
When will my order ship?
- We ship as soon as possible - most of the time within 24 hours of order placement. (Orders placed on Friday after 10am CST, Saturday or Sunday will ship Monday)
- You will receive an e-mail from us when your order ships.
- All orders ship from Ramsey, Minnesota.
- We ship worldwide.
- International orders: Shipping cost will be calculated during checkout and will NOT include your local duty and/or customs fees.
I'm a local customer, can I pick up my order?
- Yes you can. We just need time to pack your order. You can select local pickup during checkout. We will then notify you by email or text message when your order is ready for pickup. Usually pickup orders are ready for pickup the next day. Orders placed before 10am CST may be ready the same day.
- Our pickup hours are Mon-Thurs 8:30 am - 4:00 pm. Friday 8:30 am - Noon.
- Pickup Address: 7101 143rd Ave NW Suite O Ramsey. We are in the Energy Business Park located just off Highway 10. Please look for 'Harrison Specialties' on the sign outside the front door.