The Simple Laser Hollowing System is available with a variety of optional tools.(see them all here)
The hollowing system stabilizes and guides woodturning tools while hollowing and finishing. It works with silky smooth motion, stability and precise tool control giving you the confidence and ease of turning you never thought possible. You’re free to concentrate on creativity with no worries of catches or vibrations while hollowing.
What does the laser do?
The laser guides you to precise wall thickness at all times, eliminating the worry of cutting through the wall just as your bowl is complete.
The commercial quality laser is set so the laser light is offset from the cutting tip by the desired wall thickness of the vessel. When you begin hollowing the laser points mostly to the middle of the vessel. As the vessel is hollowed and the cutting tip moves outward the laser light follows. Once the cutter reaches the desired thickness, the laser light falls off the vessel.
What tools work with the SHS?
All full-size Simple Woodturning Tools (see them all here) and any turning tool with a 1/2" round handle tang.
Tools with a 3/8" round handle tang (mid-size tools identified by tool engraving starting with M) can be used with the addition of the SHS 1/2” to 3/8” bushing.
Tools with a 5/8" round handle tang can be used by replacing the standard 1/2” tool holder with the optional 5/8" tool holder.
How and where is it made?
The entire Simple Hollowing System is made by Harrison Specialties in the Land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota. All components are precision machined on an American made Haas CNC milling machine.
With the laser always showing exactly where the cutter is inside your hollow form or bowl, all the stress and fear of catches is eliminated. Now precise wall thickness is simple to achieve. For example if you what a 1/4" wall thickness simply set the laser light to shine 1/4" away from the cutter. Then hollow out your vessel until the laser light just falls off the outside of the vessel and you will have a 1/4" wall thickness.
- This fully articulating hollowing system will fit virtually any lathe with split ways, even mini lathes.
- Note: If you own a Nova DVR be sure to let us know and we will ship a mounting base clamp specifically for that lathe.
- This system can be used to turn both the inside and outside of a project. That makes it ideal for turners who must turn while seated or who may have other physical limitations making it difficult to hold tools.
- All Full Size Simple Woodturning Tools® can be used in the system or any other tool with a half inch round tang.
- This system will also accept 3/8" (mid size) tools with the addition of the SHS Bushing found here: SHS BUSHING
Watch it is in action on YouTube:
Should you have a lathe with a solid bed please let me know and I will see about developing a custom mount for your lathe.
NOTE UPDATED SHIPPING INFORMATION FROM UPS AND USPS DURING THIS SEASON:
USPS: We are not currently sending anything via US Mail. We have had way too many complaints about late shipments and lost orders. We will no longer be sending packages this way as it's unreliable right now.
UPS: All orders are currently shipping UPS. Please see below map for time in transit questions.
When will my order ship?
- We ship as soon as possible - most of the time within 24 hours of order placement. (Orders placed on Friday after 10am CST, Saturday or Sunday will ship Monday)
- You will receive an e-mail from us when your order ships.
- All orders ship from Ramsey, Minnesota.
- We ship worldwide.
- International orders: Shipping cost will be calculated during checkout and will NOT include your local duty and/or customs fees.