This bundle will give you everything you need to turn a segmented bowl. Included is 3 carbide turning tools with handles, a 6.5" x 3 segmented bowl blank, a glue hub with waste block and a wrench.
Thread the glue hub onto your lathe spindle and glue the segmented bowl blank to the wasteblock. We suggest Gorilla or Titebond wood glue. Hold until dry with a center in your tailstock and the blanks pre-marked center point. Once dry, you can begin turning with your new carbide tools. Since the blank is already round there's no roughing. Use the Simple Turner & Hollower to shape your profile, the Simple Rougher to shape the bottom and the Simple 55° Detailer for any fine details you'd like to add. Once you are done turning and finishing, simply part your project from the waste block, finish the bottom as desired and your're done! The glue hub and wasteblock can be reused for your next project.
These full-size carbide tipped wood turning tools are ½" square X 12" long when unhandled. When used in the handle, the tools are 9.5" long and the overall tool and handle length is 26.5". The tool and handle together weigh 2 lbs 5 oz. YEP - these will work in the Simple Hollowing System as well!
1. Simple Rougher (SR) - Typically the first tool used to quickly rough a block to a cylinder and shape the profile.
2. Simple Turner & Hollower (STH) - A great all around woodturning tool that's the simplest turning & hollowing tool to master on the market today.
3. Simple 55° Detailer (S55D) - For fine detail work such as beads and coves in spindles. Perfect for cutting the dovetail tenon needed for holding a block in a 4 jaw chuck.
Segmented Bowl Turning Blank:
This CNC routered blank from kiln-dried hardwoods will make a very unique finished bowl approximately 6.25" wide and 3" tall. *Images displayed are meant to illustrate the finished product; the actual wood grain and coloration may vary.
About this unique blank:
- This segmented turning blank can be used to craft a beautiful bowl worthy of admiration and gifting. These segments feature wavy lines, not straight lines.
- The great advantage of a segmented wood blank like this is that open end grain is absent, allowing for straightforward and exciting turning.
- This bowl-turning blank is crafted with only the finest hand-picked, kilned hardwoods for superior results. Achieve the best results with sharp tools when working with dry woods.
- Each section is precisely cut with our CNC router in-house. These blanks arrive to you already round, so there's no roughing!
- We securely connected all sections, including the center ring, using a strong Titebond II adhesive.
- The center ring has been pre-marked with a center point, providing an easy reference for tailstock centering when mounting the project.
- Hollowing these is a breeze since the center is partially hollowed already!
Threaded, reusable, aluminum Glue Hub
SIMPLE: Turn both inside, outside and bottom without removing and reversing project
- EXTRA SPACE: creates more room for shaping bottom or foot as it is smaller than a 4-jaw chuck and moves project away from the headstock
- SAVES WOOD: No need to lose wood on a tenon. Consume the waste block when parting your project off
- LONG LIFE: Add more fine-grained hardwood to extend waste block
- REUSABLE: Aluminum won’t crack or break over time
- REMOVEABLE: Remove project from lathe multiple times without losing center alignment.
- CONVENIENT: No screws or jaws. Thread hub onto lathe, glue your wood project directly to the waste block, use your tailstock to hold, and start turning once the glue dries.
- THREADED: Threads directly onto your lathe spindle, or can be reversed and held in tail stock.
- HOLDS SECURELY: Waste block features ½” deep milled pocket that the glue hub is glued into resulting in a more secure hold than a butt joint. No more coming loose from chuck jaws.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighs 16 oz (with waste block) vs 4-jaw chucks that weigh 4+ lbs
WORKS WITH RESIN: Without the waste block this can be glued or molded directly into a resin project.
Can be glued directly into wood or resin project by drilling a 50MM diameter by 0.5" deep hole using a forstner bit. We recommend using clear Gorilla Glue and allowing 24 hour cure time prior to beginning to turn.
Waste Block Surface preparation: Be sure surfaces are clean and free of dirt, wax, oil or other substances and follow instructions on your glue bottle. Do not use newspaper.
We always recommend using tailstock support as much as possible when turning. This can be done with a live tailstock chuck and a center point.
Please be aware that wood turning can be hazardous depending on the apparatus and user proficiency. By purchasing this wood blank, the buyer waives us of any and all responsibility in the event of injury or harm resulting from turning it on a lathe. Note that California State has identified wood dust as a carcinogen. Minimize exposure to wood dust by using a dust mask or other protective measures.