Mid-Size Simple Swan Neck Hollower Carbide Wood Turning Lathe Tool.
Specifically designed to reach areas inside hollow form vessels inaccessible to straight shaft tools.
The mid-size Simple Swan Neck Hollower can be used with an interchangeable handle or your custom made handle. This tool can also be used in the Simple Hollowing System with the addition of the SHS Bushing.
This is the tool of choice to clean out the material inside a hollow form vessel after as much material as possible is removed with straight shaft tools. Both beginners and experts alike will appreciate how simple it is to complete hollow forms with this tool.
With Simple Woodturning Tools® it’s all turning and no sharpening so your time is spent turning not sharpening. Gone forever is the long learning curve where precise angles and special tool presentation techniques must be mastered. Also gone is the need to become an expert tool sharpener. When the carbide cutter on this tool finally loses its edge simply loosen the screw and rotate the cutter. This will expose a new cutting surface and you're off to turning once again.
To use the mid-size Simple Swan Neck Hollower with a hollowing system follow these simple steps.
- Mount the tool in the hollowing system tool holder.
- Position the tool rest as close to the work as possible.*
- Adjust the tool rest height so the cutter is at the vertical center line of the lathe.
- Adjust the rear support on the hollowing system so the tool is parallel with the lathe bed. Recheck the position of the cutter to make sure it's the vertical center line of the lathe.
- Carefully move the tool into the vessel and hollow out the portion that can not be reached with your straight shaft tools.
*With this tool mounted in the hollowing system the curved portion of the tool can be in contact with the tool rest. Rotational forces are absorbed by the hollowing system so that's not a concern as it is when this tool is used in a handle.
To use the Simple Swan Neck Hollower with a handle follow these simple steps.
- Position the tool rest so the curved portion of the tool will not contact the tool rest when the tool is inside the vessel. In other words the curved portion of the tool should be hanging over the tool rest. This positions the tool rest farther away from the vessel then would be normal with other tools. The reason for this is to prevent rotational, or twisting force on the tool as would be the case if the curved portion is in contact with the tool rest. Notice the center of the cutter is inline with the center of the straight portion of the tool. If the tool is positioned properly on the tool rest it will work just like straight shaft tools with no more twisting felt in the handle then when cutting with the side of a cutter on a straight shaft tool. However, since the tool is always extended over the tool rest we recommend only light cuts be made with this tool. Also this tool is designed for the final hollowing only and should not be used for the entire hollowing process. Straight shaft tool should be used for as much of the hollowing process as possible because the tool rest can be positioned close to the work with those tools.
- Adjust the tool rest height so the cutter is at the lathe vertical center line.
- Place the tool on the tool rest with the tool shaft parallel with the floor.
- While securely holding the tool handle carefully move the tool into the vessel and carefully hollow out the portion that can not be reached with your straight shaft tools.
Mid Size Simple Swan Neck Hollower technical details:
- Carbide cutter - 1/2" diameter - Flat top cutter
- Overall tool length – 9"
- Tool Shaft – Solid Stainless Steel 3/8" square
- Handle tang - 3/8" diameter x 2" length
- T15 Torx star tip wrench included
Optional Woodturning Handle Features include:
- Overall length: 12"
- Outside diameter: 1-1/8"
- Opening for tool: 3/8"
- Tools are easily changed by loosening the two stainless Allen set screws.
- Allen wrench is included.
These solid aluminum CNC machined woodturning handles are given a highly durable beautiful clear coat to make them virtually indestructible. Their ergonomic design make them comfortable to hold while the well-balanced handle makes precision woodturning simple. These woodturning handles are 100% USA made in Ramsey, Minnesota. Switch between tools quickly by loosening the two stainless Allen set screws.